FY 2015 Hazard Mitigation Assistance Grants
FEMA Announces 2015 FMA and PDM Grants
Submissions due to NJOEM no later than August 3, 2015.
FEMA - DHS Integrated Security and Access Control System
FEMA has announced the FY 2015 Notice of Funding Opportunities for two of the Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) grant programs: Flood Mitigation Assistance and Pre-Disaster Mitigation. HMA grant programs provide states, tribes, territories, and local governments funding for eligible mitigation activities to strengthen our nation’s ability to reduce disaster losses and protect life and property from future disaster damages.
All 50 States, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands and Federally-recognized tribal governments are eligible to apply. Local governments are considered sub-applicants and must apply to their Applicant state/territory.
Applicants are encouraged to review the Hazard Mitigation Assistance Unified Guidance for detailed information regarding eligibility and to contact their FEMA Regional Office for additional information. Grant applications must be submitted to FEMA through the Mitigation eGrants system on the FEMA Grants Portal accessible on the Internet no later than 3:00 PM EDT on August 28, 2015.
Flood Mitigation Assistance - $150 Million
The Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant program provides funds on an annual basis so that measures can be taken to reduce or eliminate risk of flood damage to buildings insured under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
For the FY 2015 FMA program, FEMA will select sub-applications for funding in the agency’s priority order:
- Flood mitigation planning activities up to $100,000 federal share per applicant with a maximum of $50,000 federal share for state mitigation plans and $25,000 federal share for local mitigation plans
- Projects that mitigate at least 50 percent of structures that meet definition part (b)(ii) of a Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL) property: At least 2 separate NFIP claim payments have been made with the cumulative amount of such claims exceeding the market value of the insured structure
- Projects that mitigate at least 50 percent of structures that meet the definition of a Repetitive Loss (RL) property: Have incurred flood-related damage on 2 occasions, in which the cost of the repair, on the average, equaled or exceeded 25 percent of the market value of the structure at the time of each such flood event
- Projects that mitigate at least 50 percent of structures meet definition part (b)(i) of a SRL property: 4 or more separate NFIP claims payments have been made with the amount of each claim exceeding $5,000, and with the cumulative amount of claims payments exceeding $20,000
Projects that will reduce the risk profile in communities through mitigation of the largest number of contiguous NFIP-insured properties
Pre-Disaster Mitigation - $30 Million
The Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) grant program provides funds on an annual basis for hazard mitigation planning and the implementation of mitigation projects for the purpose of reducing overall risk to the population and structures, while also reducing reliance on Federal funding from future disaster declarations.
For the FY 2015 PDM program:
- Applicants may submit a maximum of 11 sub-applications in a PDM grant application: 10 for mitigation planning and project activities, plus 1 management cost sub-application. Of the 10 sub-applications for mitigation activities, Applicants may submit a maximum of 3 projects.
- Each Applicant’s number one ranked sub-application must not exceed $250,000 Federal share in order to be eligible for the state and tribal set asides.
- FEMA will use the Building Code Effectiveness Grading Scale to prioritize activities for competitive selection once the set asides have been met.
FEMA will select eligible applications for funding in the agency’s priority order:
- Statutory set aside of $250,000 per State/Territory/District of Columbia
- Up to $5 Million Tribal set aside for $250,000 per Federally-recognized tribe
- Mitigation planning activities from Applicants without Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds available
- Non-flood mitigation projects from Applicants without HMGP funds available
- Flood mitigation projects from Applicants without HMGP funds available
- Mitigation planning activities from Applicants with HMGP funds available
- Non-flood mitigation projects from Applicants with HMGP funds available
- Flood mitigation projects from Applicants with HMGP funds available
- HMA Home Page
- FEMA Regional Offices
- FEMA State Hazard Mitigation Officers
- HMA Helpline: 1-866-222-3580 or email: HMAGrantsHelpline@fema.dhs.gov
- FEMA Grants Portal
- MT eGrants Helpdesk: 1-855-228-3362 or email: MTeGrants@fema.dhs.gov
- Flood Mitigation Assistance Overview
- FY15 Flood Mitigation Assistance Fact Sheet
- Pre-Disaster Mitigation Overview
- Pre-Disaster Mitigation Fact Sheet