Law Enforcement Support Organization (LESO) - 1033 Program
The U.S. Department of Defense (D0D) 1033 Program permits the Secretary of Defense to transfer excess DoD supplies and equipment to state and local law enforcement agencies for use in their law enforcement duties. This property is procured at no cost to the agency with the exception of any shipping or transportation costs.
The type of property available includes but is not limited to tactical and riot gear, vehicles, watercraft, weapons, and night vision . All equipment must be strictly accounted for. When no longer needed agencies must request permission for turn in, transfer, or disposal.
Agencies must request participation in the program through the Governor appointed State Coordinator. The Coordinator will facilitate the application process with the Federal Law Enforcement Support Office (LESO).
US Department of Defense List of LESO Property Transferred to Qualifying Agencies: http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/EFOIA-Privacy/Pages/ereadingroom.aspx
Examples LESO/Federal Surplus Property Equipment Deployments
- Red Bank Green 12/9/14: Driver Rescued from Flooding
- Seaside Park Water Rescues, August 13, 2014, Use of Humvees Acquired Through LESO Program
- NJTV 8/18/14, LESO Program: (YouTube video)
- Passaic Valley Sewage Commission - Environmental Clean Up
- US Defense Logistics Agency story regarding Use of LESO Equipment for Rescues After Superstorm Sandy - Pt. Pleasant Beach
- Military Surplus Humvee Aids in Emergency Rescues: NJ.com
- Belmar Water Rescue
- Extreme Rain Event 8/13/14, Eatontown, letter of appreciation
- The Coast Star: "Local Families Enjoy Learning About First Responder Vehicles"